Position Title Accounting Intern
Job Classification Non-Exempt
Assignment Category Intern
Salary Range $12.25 per hour
Reports to Full Charge Bookkeeper
Job Description Summary
We are looking for a driven Accounting Intern with a basic understanding of financial principles and terms who is ready for an immersive, real-world experience. Under the supervision of our staff, the Accounting Intern can expect to participate in the preparation of journal entries and financial reports, analyze actual financial data, learn more about bookkeeping software, and assist with other accounting activities. You should be a motivated team player who can maintain efficiency and accuracy when multitasking.
To be a strong candidate for an Accounting Internship, you should possess an understanding of accounting and financial principles and a positive attitude. You should be collaborative, trustworthy, receptive to feedback, and eager to learn.
• Shadowing members of the Accounting department as they perform their duties.
• Assisting with research, filing, data entry, and recording and maintaining accurate and complete financial records.
• Preparing financial reports, such as balance sheets and income statements, invoices, and other documents.
• Working with bookkeeping software.
• Handling sensitive or confidential information with honesty and integrity.
• Learning how to work as part of the Accounting team to compile and analyze data, track information, and support the company or clients.
• Taking on additional tasks or projects to learn more about accounting and office operations.
• Actively working towards a Bachelor’s or Master’s in Accounting.
• Satisfactory completion of introductory accounting courses and a basic understanding of accounting and financial principles.
• GPA of 3.0 or higher.
• Aptitude for math, proficiency with computers.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• High level of efficiency, accuracy, and responsibility.
• Motivation and strong desire to take on new challenges and learn as much as possible.
• Hours of operation are 7:00am and 6:00pm Monday thru Friday
• Must be available to work up to 29 hours per week during the summer (June – September)
• Must be available to work up to 15-20 hours per week during academic year
• Indoors in air-conditioned/heated office, outdoors at center or on-location for various activities
• Equipment Use:
• Includes use of PC, laser printer, copy machine, fax machine and telephone,
• Regular exposure to animals
Mental, Physical and Communication Demands:
• Sedentary work. Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
• This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job related duties required by their supervisor. This document does not create an employment contract implied or otherwise, other than an “at-will” relationship.