Position Title Adoption Counselor
Job Classification Non-Exempt
Assignment Category Part Time – 24 hours per week (max of 29 hours per week)
Salary Range $12.00 -$14.00 per hour
Reports to Adoption Department Manager
Job Description Summary
The Adoption Counselor is responsible for achieving successful dog, cat, puppy and kitten adoptions to forever homes. The Adoption Counselors must support the mission of the Mary S. Roberts Pet Adoption Center and ensure all pets are handled in a humane, positive manner.
• Provide prompt, courteous customer service, greeting the public as they enter the Adoption Center and ask them to sign in.
• Answer phone calls and emails and provide information and resources to all inquiries.
• Learn the names, behavior and personalities of all pets to ensure the best fit for a potential owner.
• Escort first-time guests through the kennels and/or cattery.
• Facilitate dog to dog introductions
• Review adoption questionnaires and ask appropriate questions to facilitate a successful adoption.
• Learn how to correctly use the Shelter Buddy software program and create a complete record for each animal admitted into the MSRPAC. Enter additional information, medical updates, microchips, spay/neuter info, vaccinations, etc. on all pets.
• Review the list of rescue groups so that referrals can be made.
• Handle all sales at the Pet Store; properly and accurately handle money and checks. Turn in cash bag each week to the Executive Assistant.
• Clean the front office window kennels on a daily basis. Assist with cleaning the Cattery, Holding/ISO as needed.
• Clean the front counter frequently and immediately after pets have been placed on the counter by their owners.
• Clean, mop and sanitize the front lobby after dog accidents.
• Review and assemble adoption folders ensuring all information is up to date.
• Assist with evaluations and intake when requested by your supervisor.
• Assist with the laundry.
• Learn the proper way to clean dog kennels and assist when necessary.
• Help socialize the dogs by taking them for walks and into the play yard. Socialize cats by playing/petting them.
• Other duties as assigned
• 2-3 years of Customer Service experience including phone and face to face.
• Able to understand the importance of working as a team.
• Computer skills; including word and excel.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Comfortable handling all sizes of cats and dogs.
• Respectful and positive attitude in handling of the animals.
• Willing to work a flexible schedule.
• Able to lift 25 pounds