Position Title Adoption Department Manager
Job Classification Non-Exempt
Assignment Category Full time/40 hours per week
Salary Range $17.00 - $21.00 per hour
Department Animal Care
Reports to Executive Director
Job Description Summary
To provide leadership and direction in the facilitation of adoptions. Makes policy decisions regarding animal adoption placement. Ensures quality animal care, animal enrichment, and excellent customer service. Responsible for managing budgets, the Center’s pet stores, supervising staff, and writing policies, procedures, and contributing to strategic planning for program development. The Adoption Department Manager will support the mission of the Mary S. Roberts Pet Adoption Center.
● Plan, prioritize, assign, supervise, review, and participate in the work of staff responsible for pet adoptions.
● In conjunction with the Executive Director, develops, implements and monitors programs to maintain and improve the standards of humane animal care and customer services to animals and the community.
● Maintains adoption center records and statistics that include but are not limited to: animal population, adoption, euthanasia, and spay/neuter.
● In conjunction with the Animal Wellness Manager ensures that animal medical needs are identified, animals receive timely medical and surgical care.
● Monitors programs to ensure compliance with OSHA and other regulatory agencies.
● In conjunction with the Facility Supervisor, monitors safety compliance of staff and takes immediate action to correct hazards.
● Develops and reviews budgets and financial reports pertaining to canine and feline adoptions.
● Maintains inventory and is responsible for monitoring of all divisional supplies including SNC and Center retail areas.
● Analysis retail sales trends and reports them to the Executive Director.
● In conjunction with the Wellness Manager and Center Trainer, ensures animals in care are receiving behavior enrichment and training per policies and procedures.
● In conjunction with the animal wellness, admissions and behavior and facilities, departments, performs daily rounds of kennels to ensure each animal, each day, receives the care and attention they need to safely and efficiently as possible move through the Pet Adoption Center.
● Attend and participate in leadership group meetings; maintain awareness of new trends and developments in the field of adoptions; incorporates new developments as appropriate into programs.
● Meets with the Executive Director to develop long-range programs and regularly review policies and procedures.
● Conducts meetings with adoption staff to review procedures, discuss workplace issues and share ideas to improve the customer service experience.
● Learn the names, behavior and personalities of all pets to ensure the best fit for a potential owner.
● Data Entry as required for position utilizing animal software system.
● Review adoption questionnaires and facilitate adoptions.
● Oversees adoptions and ensures that the public receives accurate information and excellent customer service. Assists staff with tense situations involving the public.
● Answer phone calls and emails and provide information and resources to all inquiries.
● Escort first-time guests through the kennels and/or cattery.
● Promote positive relationships with guests, volunteers and staff while promoting the center’s programs, policies and philosophies.
● Attend off-site adoption events
● Other duties as assigned
● Maintain suitable employer/employee relations within the area of responsibility through regular performance reviews of direct reports in a timely manner
● Interview applicants for employment in areas of responsibility as needed
● In conjunction with the Facility Supervisor, train all kennel staff in the proper methods to clean canine/feline general housing, observation and isolation areas.
Supervises Adoption Counselors and Facility Supervisor
● 2-3 years management and customer service experience
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
● Excellent organizational skills; ability to plan, prioritize and meet deadlines
● Ability to work as a team leader and to motivate team members
● Proficiency in computer applications (MS Word, Excel, Publisher, PowerPoint and databases)
● Expert knowledge of animal sheltering best practices and commitment to the objectives of the organization.
● Ability to work independently.
● Comfortable handling all sizes of cats and dogs.
● Willing to work a flexible schedule/weekends.
● Strong work ethic with attention to detail.
● Valid CA driver's license and clean driving record
Physical Demands/Work Environment
● Must be able to stand, walk, sit, talk and hear, stoop, bend, squat, kneel, grasp grip, put fingers together firmly and reach above and below shoulder level and lift, push or pull 50 pounds for situations of restraining or moving animals and lifting food and animal care supplies, repetitively use hands to operate computers; flex the neck upward and downward; twist the neck and the waist. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
● Will work primarily on site at animal care facility, with the occasion for off-site special and mobile events. There is a potential of exposure to parasites and infectious diseases that can be carried and transmitted by animals.2-3 years of Customer Service experience including phone and face to face.